1 tablet contains
- Active ingredient – Secnidazole 1.0 g,
- Excipients: corn starch, calcium hydrogen phosphate, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate, povidone (K30), magnesium stearate, purified talc,
- Shell composition: hypromellose (E15), titanium dioxide (E171), indigo carmine varnish (E132), purified talc, propylene glycol.
After oral administration, secnidazole is rapidly and completely absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Bioavailability is about 80%. Metabolized in the liver. The time to reach the maximum concentration (TC max) after a single dose of 2 g orally is 4 hours. Excreted by the kidneys is 72 hours (16% of the dose taken).
Sekcidazol passes through a blood-brain barrier, gets into breast milk. The half-life of Secnidazole is approximately 25 hours, which makes it possible to simplify the regimen of the drug, making it more convenient for patients.
Secnidox is an antiprotozoal drug of the nitroimidazole group with antibacterial action. Secnidox is characterized by bactericidal (against gram-positive and gram-negative anaerobic bacteria) and amebicidal (intra- and extra-intestinal) effect. Secnidox is especially active against Trichomonas vaginalis, Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia lamblia. Penetrating into the cell of a microorganism, Secnidazole is activated as a result of the reduction of the 5-nitro group, due to which it interacts with cellular DNA. There is a violation of its spiral structure and the destruction of threads, inhibition of nucleotide synthesis and cell death.
Increases the sensitivity of tumors to radiation, causes sensitization to alcohol (teturam-like action).
Indications for use
- Trichomonas urethritis and vaginitis (caused by Trichomonas vaginalis)
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Intestinal amebiasis (caused by Entamoeba histolytica)
- Amoebiasis of the liver (caused by Entamoeba histolytica)
- Giardiasis (caused by Giardia lamblia)
Dosage and administration
Secnidox is taken orally immediately before meals with a small amount of water.
trichomonas urethritis and vaginitis, bacterial vaginosis – 2 tablets once;
acute symptomatic amebiasis – 2 tablets once;
asymptomatic amebiasis, including focal and cystic forms – daily 2 tablets at a time for 3 days;
amoebiasis of the liver – daily, 1.5 tablets (1.5 g) in the form of a single or separate doses for 5 days.
giardiasis – 2 g once.
The possibility and expediency of repeated courses of treatment with the drug for each patient is selected individually.
Possible side effects
- Nausea, metallic bite in the mouth, glossitis, stomatitis, pain in the stomach
- Dizziness, incoordination, ataxia, paresthesia, polyneuropathy
- Moderate reversible leukopenia
- Hypersensitivity to any component of Secnidox
- Organic diseases of the central nervous system
- Blood disease (including history)
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Children and adolescents up to 18 years of age
Secnidoks with simultaneous use enhances the effect of indirect anticoagulants (coumarin or indandione derivatives).
Co-administration of Secnidox with disulfiram can cause paranoid reactions (abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, headache, flushing of the face) and, like disulfiram, causes ethanol intolerance.
Secnidoks with simultaneous use with lithium preparations increases its concentration in the blood plasma.
The drug is not recommended to be combined with non-depolarizing muscle relaxants (vecuronium bromide).
During the purulent phase of hepatic amoebiasis, treatment must be combined with the removal of pus from the abscess.
With simultaneous use with anticoagulants, it is necessary to control the prothrombin index and, if necessary, adjust the dose of anticoagulants during treatment with Secnidox and within 8 days after its termination.
During the period of treatment with Secnidox, you should refrain from drinking alcohol.
Symptoms: leukopenia, ataxia.
Treatment: drug withdrawal. Symptomatic therapy.
Store in a dry place, at a temperature not exceeding +25C.
Keep out of the reach of children!
Shelf life – 3 years
Do not use after the expiration date.