CORTEXIN® contains a complex of low-molecular water-soluble polypeptide fractions, which penetrate the blood-brain barrier and directly affect nervous cells. The agent produces a nootropic, neuroprotective, antioxidant and tissue-specific effect.
Composition and form of release
Lyophilisate – 1 vial:
– active substance – Cortexin 5 mg (a complex of water-soluble polypeptide fractions)
– excipients – glycine
Cortexin® contains a complex of low-molecular water-soluble polypeptide fractions that penetrate the blood-brain barrier directly to nerve cells. The drug has a nootropic, neuroprotective, antioxidant and tissue-specific effect.
Nootropic – improves the higher functions of the brain, learning and memory processes, concentration, resistance to various stressful influences.
Neuroprotective – protects neurons from damage by various endogenous neurotoxic factors (glutamate, calcium ions, free radicals), reduces the toxic effects of psychotropic substances.
Antioxidant – inhibits lipid peroxidation in neurons, increases the survival of neurons under conditions of oxidative stress and hypoxia.
Tissue-specific – activates the metabolism of neurons in the central and peripheral nervous system, reparative processes, improves the functions of the cerebral cortex and the general tone of the nervous system.
The mechanism of action of Cortexin® is due to the activation of neuronal peptides and neurotrophic factors of the brain; optimization of the balance of the metabolism of excitatory and inhibitory amino acids, dopamine, serotonin; GABAergic effect; a decrease in the level of paroxysmal convulsive activity of the brain, the ability to improve its bioelectric activity; preventing the formation of free radicals (lipid peroxidation products).
- Improves learning and memory processes
- Improves tolerance to mental and physical stress
- Improves higher brain functions and concentration
- Increases the survival of neurons under oxidative stress and hypoxia
- Improves bioelectric activity and prevents the formation of free radicals
- Activates the metabolism of neurons in the central and peripheral nervous system
- Promotes stimulation of cortical function and general improvement of the nervous system
Indications for use
– disorders of cerebral circulation
– traumatic brain injury and its consequences
– encephalopathies of various origins
– cognitive impairment (memory and thinking disorders)
– acute and chronic encephalitis and encephalomyelitis
– asthenic conditions (suprasegmental autonomic disorders)
– reduced learning ability
– delays in psychomotor and speech development in children
– various forms of cerebral palsy
How to take Cortexin?
The drug is administered intramuscularly.
The contents of the vial before injection are dissolved in 1-2 ml of a 0.5% solution of procaine (novocaine), water for injection or 0.9% sodium chloride solution (directing the needle to the wall of the vial to avoid foaming) and injected once daily: children from the neonatal period , with a body weight of up to 20 kg at a dose of 0.5 mg / kg, with a body weight of more than 20 kg – at a dose of 10 mg for 10 days.
If necessary, repeat the course in 3–6 months.
If the injection is missed, it is not recommended to inject a double dose, but to carry out the next injection as usual on the scheduled day.
When using a 0.5% solution of procaine (novocaine) as a solvent for the drug CORTEXIN®, you should adhere to the information on contraindications, precautions and age restrictions set out in the instructions for use of procaine (novocaine).
The vial of the dissolved drug must not be stored or used after storage. It is not recommended to mix CORTEKSIN® solution with other solutions.
There are no peculiarities of the action of the drug during the first administration or when it is canceled.
No special precautions are required when disposing of unused medicinal products.
Pregnancy and lactation
The drug is contraindicated in pregnancy (due to the lack of clinical trial data). If it is necessary to prescribe the drug during lactation, breastfeeding should be discontinued (due to the lack of data from clinical studies).
Features of the influence of the drug on the ability to drive a vehicle or potentially dangerous machinery.
The use of the drug does not affect the ability to drive a vehicle or potentially dangerous machinery.